Speak & Listening matters
Engaging in high-quality oracy practices seeks to deepen understanding and is linked with greater knowledge retention, vocabulary acquisition and reasoning skills. We provide a range of speaking and listening opportunities for children across the school including an annual performance show, Talent show and daily oracy opportunities.
We provide our children a range of daily opportunities to develop their speaking and listening skills. Activities includes:
- Tailored and specific activities which promote speaking and listening opportunities for all children.
- Opportunities for deeper discussion across a range of subjects.
- Performance poetry and opportunities to read out work aloud..
- Drama and performance plays for every year group.
- High quality questioning by staff to elicit understanding and promote higher level thinking skills.
- Paired and group talk.
- Public speaking opportunities with other schools.
- Community work with the local church and care homes.
- School Council.
- Our Year 6 pupils take part in the annual Somerset Youth Parliament public speaking competition.